6 slices bacon, diced
3 cloves garlic
½ sweet onion, small diced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
s&p to taste
3 pounds greens (kale, chard, collards, etc), washed and rough chopped
2 cups of stock of your choice – chicken, veg or beef
1. Heat a large pan on the stove over medium high heat.
2. Add bacon to pan and cook until crispy and remove from the pan and reserve
until later. Leave the bacon grease in pan.
3. Add garlic and onion to pan and sweat until aromatic, do not brown.
4. Add chopped greens and cook down. You may need to add a little at a time to the
pan depending on how big your pan is.
5. Add stock and allow to simmer.
6. Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook to desired doneness. Collard greens require a longer cooking time than
chard or kale.
Dave Lattomus is a classically trained Chef with over 20 years of experience. Dave served as the executive sous chef for the Hotel duPont for over 10 years (a lifetime in the restaurant world!) before transitioning to focus more on teaching and catering.