Dave Lattomus is a classically trained Chef with over 20 years of experience. Dave served as the executive sous chef for the Hotel duPont for over 10 years (a lifetime in the restaurant world!) before transitioning to focus more on teaching and catering.
Caldo Verde Soup
2 pounds ground sausage (or link, sliced)
2 cups diced onion
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups diced green bell peppers
1 cup diced carrot
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups diced zucchini
1 bunch kale, chopped (roughly 4-5 cups)
3 qts chicken stock (12 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup braggs cider vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- In a large soup pot, brown the sausage over medium high heat. As it is browning add the crushed red pepper.
- Once brown, add onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes to the pot. Stir well and cook for several minutes.
- Add bell peppers, zucchini and kale. Cook for several minutes.
- Add stock and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release any brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pot, this is all good flavor for the soup!
- Season with salt and pepper, vinegar and worcestershire.
Chef David Lattomus