As many beets as you desire, approximately baseball-sized.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Wash beets well to remove any dirt
3. Trim beet tops and reserve for sauteeing
4. Place beets in an oven safe dish.
5. Cook beets for approximately 45 minutes or until fork tender.
6. Once they are fork tender, remove them from the oven but keep them covered in
7. Wait another 45 minutes for them to cool enough to handle. Now remove the foil
and peel the skin, it should come off very easily just by rubbing it. You may want
to wear a pair of gloves to do this as you may stain your hands if they are red
8. Trim the beets to whatever shape you like.
9. Serve in any way you like!
What to do with roasted beets
You roasted the beets… now what?
Chef Dave likes to add the beets to his salad!
Our own fresh lettuce as a base with sliced roasted beets, 1/2 a sliced apple (Fuji in this case), and orange slices. Crumble some feta, and sprinkle some sunflowers seeds on top. This roasted beet salad is great as-is, so taste it first, but you can use an oil and vinegar dressing if desired.
Dave Lattomus is a classically trained Chef with over 20 years of experience. Dave served as the executive sous chef for the Hotel duPont for over 10 years (a lifetime in the restaurant world!) before transitioning to focus more on teaching and catering.